Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Select Region
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
WASHINGTON – The Trump administration has approved a $130 million missile defence sale to Japan to meet the escalating threat from North Korea.
The State Department says Congress was notified Tuesday of the proposed sale of four missiles for the SM-3 Block IIA interceptor.
The system was jointly developed by Japan and the U.S. The missiles can be used at sea with Japan’s current Aegis-equipped destroyers and with the land-based Aegis system its Cabinet approved for purchase last month.
That’s intended to bolster Japan’s current missile defence and perhaps curry favour with President Donald Trump who is eager for U.S. allies to buy more American military hardware.
The department says the sale will support the American defence industry and underscores Trump’s commitment to improve the defence of allies threatened by North Korea.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.