Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
ROME – A humanitarian group says some 10,000 homeless migrants in Italy are living in makeshift settlements, occupying abandoned buildings or out in the open while their asylum bids are being processed.
Doctors Without Borders released a survey Thursday of migrant housing in Italy, amid an election campaign that has been marred by a violent anti-immigrant shooting spree last week and calls by leading politicians for mass migrant expulsions.
About half of the homeless migrants were squatting in abandoned buildings. Another third were living in the open, while the rest were in tents, shacks and containers.
The non-profit said 15 had died since the end of 2016 trying to get to France along the “death pass” through the Alps used during World War II by Jews.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.