Octomom Suleman charged with welfare fraud in Los Angeles County

LOS ANGELES, Calif. – Los Angeles County prosecutors have charged Octomom Nadya Suleman with welfare fraud.

The district attorney’s office says Monday that Suleman failed to report nearly $30,000 in earnings while applying for public assistance last year.

The district attorney’s office says that Suleman, whose real name is Natalie Denise Suleman, has not been arrested but has been ordered to appear in court on Friday.

A prosecution statement says she was charged on Jan. 6 with one count of aid by misrepresentation and two counts of perjury by false application. If convicted, she faces up to five years and eight months in custody.

In addition to her octuplets, Suleman has six other children.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.