Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

HAMDEN, Conn. – Connecticut authorities say the person responsible for cutting down a distinctive tree has been arrested.
The New Haven-based Regional Water Authority announced the arrest Tuesday. No name was released.
The authority said the Door Tree in Hamden, a 200-year-old white oak that grew in a “distinctive doorway-like arch,” had been cut down with a chainsaw on July 18.
The Regional Water Authority owns the land where the tree stood.
David Johnson, Hamden’s municipal historian and a member of the Hamden Historical Society which first discovered the tree had been felled, called it a “terrible act of thoughtless vandalism.”
The historical society says the tree was first photographed in 1898 and was featured in works including Ripley’s “Believe It or Not.”
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.