The Latest: Cycling body approves 11 Russians, 6 to miss out

RIO DE JANEIRO – The Latest on the Rio Games (all times local to Rio de Janeiro):

1:25 p.m.

Cycling’s governing body has approved 11 Russians for the Olympics, but three other Russian riders have not been cleared to compete and a further three have been withdrawn by their country’s Olympic committee.

The UCI says the three riders who have not been cleared are “potentially implicated” by the World Anti-Doping Agency, whose report accused Russia’s of organizing a state-sponsored doping program.

A further three cyclists were withdrawn from the team by Russia’s Olympic committee because they have previously been sanctioned for doping. The International Olympic Committee ruled on Sunday that Russians who had previously been banned for doping could not compete at Rio.

In a statement, the UCI says after a “thorough analysis of the testing history” of another 11 riders it believes they have met the eligibility requirements set by the International Olympic Committee for Russians to compete in Rio.

___

1:05 p.m.

Demonstrators protesting against the money spent on the Olympics have clashed with police and forced the cancellation of part of the torch relay celebrations in a southeastern Brazilian city.

The incident occurred Wednesday night in Angra dos Reis soon after the runner bearing the torch entered the city. Protesters blocked his way prompting police to disperse the crowd with rubber bullets, tear gas and pepper spray.

No injuries were reported.

Rio’s Aug. 5-21 games have been hit by Brazil’s economic recession, security concerns and fears about the mosquito-borne Zika virus.

___

12:45 p.m.

A depleted Russian team departed for the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro on Thursday, missing dozens of athletes who were excluded amid the country’s doping scandal.

Team members left on a charter flight from Moscow’s Sheremetevo airport to Brazil, a day after an emotional farewell ceremony with Russian President Vladimir Putin in the Kremlin.

More than 100 athletes from what was originally a 387-strong team have been barred from competing in Rio by international sports federations under sanctions which most Russian athletes consider unfair.

“We’re after medals, that’s it,” handball player Anna Sen said as she prepared to board the flight. “We need to fight for those athletes who were disqualified.”

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.