Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
MOSCOW – A knife-wielding man went on a stabbing rampage Saturday in a Siberian city, wounding seven people before police shot and killed him.
The Islamic State’s Aamaq news agency hours later claimed the attacker was “an Islamic State soldier.” There was no immediate Russian comment and it was unclear if the IS claim was opportunistic.
A statement from Russia’s Investigative Committee said the mid-day attack on a central street in Surgut said the suspect had been identified as a resident in his early 20s. It said information was being sought on his psychiatric condition, suggesting authorities did not suspect terrorism as the likely motive.
The statement gave the number of victims at seven, down from an earlier tally of eight.
Four of the wounded were in serious condition, the state news agency Tass reported, citing regional health official Vladislav Nigmatulin.
Surgut, with a population of about 320,000, is an oil- and gas-producing centre some 2,100 kilometres (1,300 miles) northeast of Moscow.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.