Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

Saudi official says security officer killed, 2 wounded

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia – Saudi Arabia’s Interior Ministry says a Saudi security officer has been killed and two security men wounded when an explosive device exploded in a restive town in the country’s eastern province.

Maj. Gen. Mansour al-Turki said in a statement Monday that a security patrol was checking the situation in a neighbourhood in the heavily Shiite-populated town of Qatif when the device exploded, killing Maj. Tareq al-Allaqi. The two injured men are in a stable condition, he said.

Violence between Shiite militants and security forces there has increased in recent weeks, with several incidents of militants firing rocket-propelled grenades at police.

The Islamic State group has previously launched attacks on Shiites in Qatif.

News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?