Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
MILAN – Italy’s economic development minister says the top priority in evaluating offers for the bankrupt Alitalia airline is maintaining connections that bring tourists and business to the southern European nation.
Carlo Calenda has told private Italian TV La7 on Sunday that the second priority was ensuring as little public money as possible is spent in the deal, and the third is protecting workers.
Calenda said 8 billion euros ($9.5 billion) of state money had been spent to keep Alitalia afloat and the result is “an airline that keeps getting smaller and more dysfunctional. … If we had sold it to a big international player, we would have better service and we wouldn’t have thrown away all this money.”
The government aims to complete the sale of Alitalia by April.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.