Red Cross staffer freed in Afghanistan weeks after abduction

BERLIN – The International Committee of the Red Cross says a staff member who was abducted in northern Afghanistan last month has been released.

The ICRC’s head of delegation in Afghanistan, Monica Zanarelli, said Sunday that the man is “safe and sound” and is now with its team in Kunduz. The agency said it wouldn’t comment on the identity of the abductors or their motives or give any details of the release.

The ICRC staffer, whose nationality wasn’t specified, was snatched on Dec. 19 in the northern province of Kunduz as he was travelling to Mazar-i-Sharif. According to the Red Cross, three other colleagues were left unharmed.

A spokeswoman from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Madrid confirmed to The Associated Press that the aid worker was a Spaniard.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.