Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

IQALUIT, Nunavut – Iqaluit’s city council has declared a local state of emergency over rising numbers of COVID-19 cases.
The capital city of about 8,000 people has 81 of the territory’s 85 active cases.
Iqaluit reported its first case of COVID-19 on April 14, but the territory’s chief public health officer has said the virus is likely to already have been in the city a week before that.
Dr. Michael Patterson says the variant first identified in the United Kingdom is the only strain of the COVID-19 virus circulating in the territory.
Last week, health officials also confirmed COVID-19 cases in Iqaluit’s jails and medical boarding home.
The emergency order comes into effect at midnight tonight, but Iqaluit is already under a strict lockdown that includes school closures and travel restrictions.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 3, 2021.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.