Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
RIO DE JANEIRO – The Roman Catholic archbishop of Rio de Janeiro said he had to seek shelter behind his car on Friday during a gunbattle between police and armed men near one of the city’s shantytowns.
On the website of the archdiocese of Rio de Janeiro, Cardinal Orani Tempesta said he was heading to the airport when the shooting forced his car to stop. He was not injured.
The shooting subsided after about 10 minutes and the archbishop was able to proceed to the airport.
Last year, Tempesta escaped injury when three gunmen robbed him as he was being driven to a radio station. One of the gunmen recognized the cardinal and apologized, but went ahead and stole his cellphone, ring, crucifix and pen.
In a separate incident, competitive shooter Anna Paula Cotta, a Navy sergeant, was shot in the head during an attempted hold up in Rio de Janeiro. The Brazilian Navy said she was shot on Thursday and was listed in serious condition at the Marcilio Dias Naval Hospital.
Local media said the 27-year-old Cotta had tried out for the Olympic team but failed to qualify. She was scheduled to take part in a Brazilian shooting championship on Saturday.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.