Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Select Region
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

MONTREAL – Alexandre Despatie will dive for Canada at the London Olympics, overcoming a concussion he sustained while training last month.
The two-time Olympic silver medallist confirmed his participation at the 2012 Games at a news conference Thursday.
His Olympic future looked in doubt when he hit his head on the diving board while training in Spain for the Madrid Grand Prix. Despatie was admitted into hospital and required surgery to close a 10-centimetre wound near his hairline.
Initial neurological tests indicated the 27-year-old from Laval, Que., hadn’t suffered a concussion but a specialist in Canada confirmed otherwise.
Despatie says he is now back in the pool training, and while getting back to Olympic form is a step-by-step process he says he’s doing well.
Despatie won silver in springboard at the 2004 Summer Games in Athens to become the first Canadian male to earn an Olympic diving medal.
Despite breaking his foot a few weeks prior to the 2008 Games in Beijing, Despatie won silver again.
“Thank you to all the fans, the public that sent so many encouraging notes,” Despatie said. “It means a lot to me. You have no idea.
“It was a bit overwhelming, but I’m very happy that you guys are proud of me and I’ll do everything I can to make you proud still.”
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.