Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Select Region
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

Peter MacKay says he will not seek the leadership of the Conservative party when one is chosen this September.
MacKay announced the news in a video message posted to social media on Saturday, saying he came to the decision after consulting with friends, colleagues and family.
The cabinet minister in former prime minister Stephen Harper’s Conservative government placed second to former leader Erin O’Toole in 2020, and noted in the video that he’s still paying off debt from that contest.
MacKay was also leader of the Progressive Conservatives when the party merged with the Canadian Alliance to form the Conservative Party of Canada.
Four candidates are in the race so far — Ottawa-area MP Pierre Poilievre, former 2020 leadership candidate Leslyn Lewis, Independent Ontario MPP Roman Barber and former Quebec premier Jean Charest.
MacKay says he will continue to support interim leader Candice Bergen and will also support the eventual winner of the leadership vote.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 12, 2022.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.