Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – A passing disagreement at a northeastern B.C. bar has ended with the death of a Calgary man and two B.C. residents waiting to hear if charges against them will be upgraded to manslaughter or murder.
William (Willy) Ted Metcalfe, 25, of Kelowna, and Joel Christopher Marchand, 29, of Prince George, were each charged with assault causing bodily harm and aggravated assault after the July 22 fight outside a Fort St. John bar.
However, since 39-year-old beating victim Chris Ball suffered extreme brain damage and died in hospital, the pair may face more serious charges up to second-degree murder, something demanded by the victim’s family.
Metcalfe has been released on $20,000 bail and is scheduled to appear in provincial court on Aug. 29 while Marchand remains in custody and made his first court appearance on Tuesday.
Fort St. John RCMP say when they arrived at the bar, they found one man unconscious and another with a facial injury.
They say Ball had been watching UFC fights when his friend got into an argument with a group of four men. When Ball and his friend left, the group was apparently waiting outside, Ball was sucker-punched, hit the ground and was then kicked.
One of the four men provided first aid to the injured pair but the others left before police arrived.
Mounties believe alcohol was a contributing factor to the fight.
“Chris walked out behind his friend, and I guess he was cold-cocked with a haymaker upside the head, and he was out before he hit the pavement,” said a family member, adding she believes he had no opportunity to defend himself.
“We’re just devastated. We were planning to celebrate his birthday on Sept. 8 and instead we’re planning his funeral.”
Ball’s family described him as a “strong guy with a great sense of humour,” an extremely hard worker and the type who would help anyone.
A spokesman for B.C.’s criminal justice branch said the Crown was waiting for results of a continuing RCMP investigation into the case and there was no timeline for any decision on upgraded charges.(Kelowna Daily Courier)
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.