Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

More details expected Monday on Canada’s Iraq mission as bombing raids continue

OTTAWA – An update is expected today on Canadian military activities in the skies over Iraq as part of the international campaign against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

The Defence Department says it will provide the latest data on the number of sorties six fighter jets, a refuelling plane and two surveillance aircraft have conducted since the combat mission began in November.

Among the most recent activities were bombing missions on New Year’s Day when CF-18s attacked ISIL fighting positions and storage facilities used by the Islamist group.

The Defence Department did not provide specific details about the targets.

But information from the U.S. military suggests Canadian planes struck and destroyed shipping containers, an armoured vehicle and a front-end loader.

The American military says the Jan. 1 missions were part of 11 attacks carried out that day in Iraq against ISIL which holds about a third of Iraq and neighbouring Syria.

Canada is part of the U.S.-led air war in Iraq but has so far not joined a coalition campaign bombing ISIL targets in Syria.

News from © The Canadian Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Canadian Press

The Canadian Press is Canada's trusted news source and leader in providing real-time, bilingual multimedia stories across print, broadcast and digital platforms.