Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Locked-out forward Jeff Skinner given permission not to report to AHL

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Jeff Skinner won’t be starting the season in the American Hockey League after all.

The Charlotte Checkers announced Friday that the locked-out NHL forward won’t report to training camp this weekend.

“He’s still back in the Toronto area training,” said Checkers coach Jeff Daniels. “He has the team’s consent, and we’ll see where things go from here.”

Skinner was assigned to the AHL by the Carolina Hurricanes before the lockout started earlier this month.

The 20-year-old centre spent the last two seasons in the NHL and is entering the final year of his entry-level contract.

Skinner captured the Calder Trophy in 2011 after scoring 31 goals as a rookie and might still find himself suiting up for the Checkers at some point this year.

“If this lockout drags on and he decides he wants to play some games, Charlotte will be an option for him,” said Daniels.

News from © The Canadian Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Canadian Press

The Canadian Press is Canada's trusted news source and leader in providing real-time, bilingual multimedia stories across print, broadcast and digital platforms.