Quebec provincial police officer facing manslaughter charge in teen’s death

MONTREAL – A Quebec provincial police officer is facing a manslaughter charge in connection with the death of a teenager last year.

Eric Deslauriers faces the single count according to charges filed in court.

Montreal police said the police officer was arrested Thursday afternoon by its homicide squad.

Jean-Pascal Boucher, a spokesman for the Crown, says Deslauriers was released on a promise to appear.

In Quebec, it is customary for an outside police force to investigate when officers from another police agency have been involved in an incident that has resulted in death or injuries.

Provincial police were responding to a call about a stolen vehicle on Jan. 22, 2014 in Ste-Adele, in the Laurentians region north of Montreal.

A car chase ensued and ended near a high school where a young man, 17, was shot and later died.

Boucher says that Deslauriers, 43, will appear in court in St-Jerome, Que., on Mar. 10.

News from © The Canadian Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Canadian Press

The Canadian Press is Canada's trusted news source and leader in providing real-time, bilingual multimedia stories across print, broadcast and digital platforms.