HBO agrees to 2 more new seasons for Oliver’s ‘Last Week Tonight’

NEW YORK, N.Y. – HBO says it has picked up two more seasons of John Oliver’s “Last Week Tonight,” which puts to rest any thought that Oliver would return to Comedy Central to replace Jon Stewart on “The Daily Show.”

Oliver just began the second season at HBO of his critically acclaimed comedy show. HBO said it has agreed to air 35 new episodes each in 2016 and 2017.

Michael Lombardo, president of HBO programming, said Tuesday that Oliver’s “unique ability to deliver socially significant commentary week after week, along with his innate comedic brilliance, puts John in a class by himself.”

Oliver came to HBO’s attention when he subbed for Stewart at “The Daily Show” during the summer of 2013. Stewart announced last week he was leaving “The Daily Show.”

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.