Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

Efforts to restore power after Ontario ice storm now in the home stretch: authorities

TORONTO — Authorities in Ontario say they’re finally in the home stretch when it comes to restoring power to thousands still grappling with outages more than a week after a devastating ice storm.

Repairs also continue in Quebec and New Brunswick, but a winter storm threatens to derail efforts in the Maritime province, where close to 9,000 homes and businesses remain without heat or electricity.

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford says about 6,000 customers are still in the dark in his city — down from 7,400 earlier this morning.

Ford said this weekend there’s “light at the end of the tunnel.”

Toronto Hydro CEO Anthony Haines also says he sees the finish line approaching, adding it could be a matter of hours before everyone is back on the grid.

Today’s predicted high in Toronto is 3 C, the same as Saturday. That has caused ice to break off some tree branches and buildings, bringing down power lines.

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne says things are largely back to normal outside Toronto.

The Hydro One website shows power is out for about 1,200 homes and businesses elsewhere in Ontario, but a spokeswoman for the utility says those are new outages.

Haines, meanwhile, suggests the effects of the ice storm — particularly on the city’s trees — could be felt long after power is restored.

Efforts to restore power after Ontario ice storm now in the home stretch: authorities | iNFOnews.ca

News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

Howard Alexander

Assistant Editor Howard Alexander comes to iNFOnews.ca from the broadcasting side of the media business.

Howard has been a reporter, news anchor, talk show host and news director, first in Saskatchewan and then the Okanagan.

He moved his family to Vernon in the 90s and is proud to call the Okanagan home.

If you have an event to share contact Howard at 250-309-5343or email halexander@infonews.ca.