A cut above? Carlos Alcaraz’s shaved head makes its US Open debut in his first-round win

NEW YORK (AP) — Carlos Alcaraz showed up at the U.S. Open on Monday for his first-round match with a new look: a shaved head.

Alcaraz, who is seeded No. 2 at Flushing Meadows, caused a bit of a buzz with his buzz cut when he got to the tournament grounds before heading out to beat big-serving Reilly Opelka 6-4, 7-5, 6-4 in just over two hours at Arthur Ashe Stadium at night.

The 22-year-old Spaniard’s play, as is often the case, was a cut above. He made just 17 unforced errors, won 50 of 58 first-serve points, saved all three break points he faced, broke Opelka three times and improved to 19-0 in opening contests at Grand Slam tournaments.

Prior to playing, Alcaraz ran into golf star Rory McIlroy, who reached out his hand to rub the scalp’s stubble. When Alcaraz played in the U.S. Open’s mixed doubles event last week, he did so with a full head of hair.

During the on-court interview after his win, Alcaraz tried to crowd-source opinions about the change.

“I got to ask the people if they like the new haircut or not. Did you like it, guys?” he asked the Ashe spectators.

They roared their approval.

“I think,” Alcaraz said, “they like it.”

At least one other athlete — and friend — did not think the new ‘do was all that sharp: Frances Tiafoe, who lost in the semifinals in New York to Alcaraz in 2022. That was the year Alcaraz won the title at the U.S. Open for the first of his five Grand Slam trophies.

“It’s horrible. It’s terrible. It’s definitely terrible. That’s my guy, though,” Tiafoe said when asked about Alcaraz’s haircut. “Funny, I looked at him, and I was like, ‘I guess you’re aerodynamic.’”

Tiafoe’s critique wasn’t finished there.

“I don’t know who told him to do that, but it’s terrible. From a guy who gets haircuts week in, week out, who prides himself on good haircuts, it’s horrendous,” Tiafoe said. “But at the end of the day, it’s Carlos, and that’s my guy.”

___

More AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis

Carlos Alcaraz, of Spain, returns a shot to Reilly Opelka, of the United States, during the first round of the U.S. Open tennis championships, Monday, Aug. 25, 2025, in New York. (AP Photo/Adam Hunger)
Carlos Alcaraz, of Spain, returns a shot to Reilly Opelka, of the United States, during the first round of the U.S. Open tennis championships, Monday, Aug. 25, 2025, in New York. (AP Photo/Adam Hunger)
Carlos Alcaraz, of Spain, returns a shot to Reilly Opelka, of the United States, during the first round of the U.S. Open tennis championships, Monday, Aug. 25, 2025, in New York. (AP Photo/Adam Hunger)
Reilly Opelka, of the United States, serves to Carlos Alcaraz, of Spain, during the first round of the U.S. Open tennis championships, Monday, Aug. 25, 2025, in New York. (AP Photo/Adam Hunger)

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.