Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

Referendum on a referendum: Albertans to vote on putting separation on another ballot

EDMONTON — Premier Danielle Smith says Albertans will be going to the polls in October to cast their vote on separation – but they won’t actually be voting on whether to separate.

Instead, they’ll be choosing whether to hold a binding referendum at a future date on quitting Canada.

Smith made the announcement in a televised address Thursday night, saying it’s the best solution to fight for the country while granting a deserving voice to those who no longer feel Canada works for them.

“Kicking the can down the road only prolongs a very emotional and important debate,” Smith said.

“Muzzling the voices of hundreds of thousands of Albertans wanting to be heard is unjustifiable in a free and democratic society.

“It’s time to have a vote, understand the will of Albertans on this subject, and move on.”

The referendum question will be: “Should Alberta remain a province of Canada or should the government of Alberta commence the legal process required under the Canadian Constitution to hold a binding provincial referendum on whether or not Alberta should separate from Canada?”

It becomes the 10th question in the referendum set for Oct. 19. The other questions, previously announced, ask about immigration reform and constitutional concerns.

Smith said she shares past frustrations about the federal government but that under Prime Minister Mark Carney the province is making progress on developing its natural resources.

She knows that’s not enough for some.

“The vast majority of those advocating for separation love our province profoundly,” she said. “Many are also proud Canadians that have simply lost hope that their families can flourish within Canada.

“So instead of attacking these loyal Albertans, let’s work together to restore hope in their country.”

Separatists in Alberta had been pinning their hopes on Smith putting a separation question straight on the ballot since last week, when an Edmonton judge halted an independence petition drive because First Nations had not been duly consulted.

Jeff Rath, a lawyer for the separatist petition group Stay Free Alberta, said by not putting a binding question on the ballot now, Smith has betrayed thousands of supporters.

“I think Danielle just kicked over a hornet’s nest and tried to dress it up with a lot of pretty language about how much she values all of us, and how much she hears us, and blah, blah, blah,” Rath said in an interview.

“It remains to be seen whether she’s still premier come September.”

He said he’ll be organizing to make sure candidates running for Smith’s United Conservative Party are separatists. A provincial election is slated for October 2027.

Cam Davies, leader of the pro-independence Republican Party of Alberta, called Smith’s referendum question “spineless.”

“A vote to have a vote is the literal definition of kicking the can down the road,” Davies said on social media.

Alberta’s separation debate has roiled the province for more than a year and spawned two competing petitions putting forward questions on Alberta’s role in Confederation.

One petition was a successful pro-Canada campaign organized by former deputy premier Thomas Lukaszuk. It garnered more than 400,000 signatures last year.

Its question: “Do you agree that Alberta should remain in Canada?”

Earlier Thursday, UCP government members on a committee studying what to do with that petition voted to ask Smith to use it as the basis for the referendum.

Lukaszuk said deviating from his petition’s wording is proof Smith alone is responsible for the referendum and is ignoring the wishes of those who signed.

“Her only goal right now is saving her political skin and remaining the leader of the United Conservative Party and the premier, as opposed to doing what’s good for our province and for our country,” he said.

The other petition was organized by Stay Free Alberta and Rath. Earlier this month, it submitted what it said were more than 300,000 names in support of a referendum on quitting Canada. The judge’s order stopping it happened before signatures could be validated.

Smith, in her speech, said the judge’s ruling is the driving force behind her referendum question.

“I, as premier, will not have a legal mistake by a single judge silence the voices of hundreds of thousands of Albertans,” she said. “That’s not the Alberta way.”

Smith said the government is appealing the ruling, but it could take years and go all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada.

Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation, which was part of the court challenge, said in a statement that Smith can’t sidestep her government’s duty to consult First Nations.

“Listen to us. Listen to the courts,” said Chief Allan Adam.

The Opposition NDP said Smith has behaved as both an arsonist and a firefighter in the last year. While she wants to stay in Canada, her government has changed the rules — such as lowering signature requirements — to get separation on the ballot and gratify hardliners in her party, it said.

Lori Williams, a political scientist at Mount Royal University in Calgary, said Smith continues to look for ways to appease those hardliners. But it appears the new question won’t do it.

“It’s not going to satisfy. As we see the separatists, they’ve gotten angry and angrier over time,” said Williams.

“This was meant to be a release valve, something that would settle the matter. We’re seeing quite the opposite.”

Williams said unless Alberta’s citizen-initiated referendum process is changed — a process Smith’s government amended twice last year, ultimately aiding the separatist petition — the movement will continue to have a tool to push its demands.

“The question will come up again and again and again.”

Williams added that the influence held by separatists in Smith’s UCP are potentially destabilizing to her leadership and party unity.

“Their determination to continue to put this question on a referendum ballot is unlikely to go away.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 21, 2026.

News from © The Canadian Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Canadian Press


The Canadian Press is Canada's trusted news source and leader in providing real-time, bilingual multimedia stories across print, broadcast and digital platforms.