US man detained in Venezuela post-vote crackdown; family says he’s innocent filmmaker

CARACAS, Venezuela – Venezuelan authorities say they have detained a 35-year-old American man they accuse of paying right-wing youth groups to carry out violence as part of a plan to destabilize the country.

Timothy Hallet Tracy’s family says he is an innocent filmmaker who is in Venezuela making a documentary.

Interior Minister Miguel Rodriguez Torres told reporters Thursday that Tracy was presumed to be a spy charged with provoking demonstrations in order to push Venezuela toward a civil war as part of a U.S. plot.

Hallet’s father, Emmet, of Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan, said the Georgetown University English major had been making his film since last year and already been briefly detained twice. Emmet Hallet said he had warned his son to leave the country in light of the volatile political situation.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.