Report due today on deadly Via Rail derailment that killed 3 in Burlington, Ont.

BURLINGTON, Ont. – The Transportation Safety Board is expected to reveal today what caused a deadly Via Rail derailment west of Toronto last year.

The agency is releasing its report on the Feb. 26, 2012 crash just after 9 a.m.

The train was travelling at more than 100 kilometres per hour when it went off the tracks just east of Aldershot station in Burlington, Ont., killing three engineers and injuring 45 passengers.

The speed limit while changing tracks at that particular switch was 24 kilometres per hour.

Investigators said last year the derailment was caused by excessive speed.

But lead investigator Tom Griffith said it was important to know what was going on behind the scenes and why the crew made the decisions it did.

News from © The Canadian Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Canadian Press

The Canadian Press is Canada's trusted news source and leader in providing real-time, bilingual multimedia stories across print, broadcast and digital platforms.