Lac-Megantic taking legal action against rail company Montreal, Maine & Atlantic

LAC-MEGANTIC, Que. – The town of Lac-Megantic is taking legal action against the rail company at the heart of this month’s fatal train derailment in the community.

Mayor Colette Roy-Laroche says Montreal, Maine & Atlantic has not yet paid any of the workers it hired to clean up the crude oil that leaked from dozens of tanker cars.

She told a news conference today that Lac-Megantic has paid the workers $4 million so far after some threatened to walk off the job.

Roy-Laroche says lawyers have been told to inform MMA that it must pay up right away.

She described the situation as completely unacceptable.

Forty-two bodies have been found since the blaze and explosions on July 6, with another five people missing and presumed dead.

News from © The Canadian Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Canadian Press

The Canadian Press is Canada's trusted news source and leader in providing real-time, bilingual multimedia stories across print, broadcast and digital platforms.