Former All-Star Tony Clark becomes No 2 official to ailing Michael Weiner in baseball union

NEW YORK, N.Y. – Former major league All-Star Tony Clark has been promoted to deputy executive director of the baseball players’ union, giving ailing head Michael Weiner a No. 2 official who could take over if his health worsens.

The 41-year-old Clark joined the union staff as director of player relations in March 2010. He assisted in collective bargaining the following year and was most recently director of player services.

Weiner took over from Donald Fehr in December 2009 to become the fourth head of the union since 1966. Weiner said last August that he had been diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour and said last week that his condition deteriorated in June. He must use a wheelchair and cannot move his right side or right arm.

Clark’s appointment was approved 26-0 Tuesday by the union’s executive board.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press


The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.