Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
The railway involved in the fatal Quebec derailment is said to have laid off five more employees.
A union says the Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway has now cut nearly one-third of its Quebec workforce since one of its trains derailed in downtown Lac-Megantic and killed an estimated 47 people.
It says the layoffs today of five Farnham-based MMA workers means 24 of the railway’s 75 employees in the province have lost their jobs since the July 6 tragedy.
The U.S.-based company let go 19 Quebec workers earlier this month — citing the disaster’s impact on the business.
The future of the railway is in doubt as it faces imposing financial hurdles — including several lawsuits and mounting environmental cleanup costs.
The United Steelworkers says the five employees were told about the cuts this morning by telephone.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.