Cuba musician says barred from state-run venues after singing about direct presidential vote

HAVANA – A well-known Cuban singer says he is being punished for going off message at a nationally televised concert-rally last week.

Robertico Carcasses says in a note published on his band’s Facebook page that he has been barred indefinitely from performing at state-run music venues.

Carcasses sang last week about his desire for direct presidential elections and more freedom of information. The improvised lyrics came during a concert organized to demand the return of several Cuban agents jailed in the United States.

Carcasses says the Culture Ministry told him the next day his performance was not in line with the purpose of the event, and his words only aided the enemy.

Reached by phone Monday, he said the Facebook post contained everything he intended to say publically about the matter.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.