Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
BERLIN (AP) — Germany’s interior minister said Friday that a cache of weapons and ammunition found near Berlin last year was intended for use in attacks, and that a suspect has been arrested in Romania.
Alexander Dobrindt told reporters on Friday that federal prosecutors have launched an investigation into the weapons discovery, which was first reported in various German media.
Dobrindt said that the participation of “foreign powers” could not be ruled out, and that the investigation would look into that possibility.
The suspect in custody in Romania had “attack plans,” the minister said. Romanian authorities did not immediately comment on the case.
“The investigation is directed against intelligence agency activity and against the preparation of a serious state-endangering crime,” Dobrindt told reporters in Berlin, explaining that it involved a “high-risk situation.” He did not provide further details.
Contacted by The Associated Press, the federal prosecutors’ office in the western city of Karlsruhe declined to comment.
Dobrindt explained that German authorities were informed of a possible weapons cache outside Berlin in October, and subsequently located it. “Two handguns and corresponding ammunition were stored in this hiding place,” he said.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.