Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

Tests reveal Winnipeg infant ingested carfentanil, parents charged

WINNIPEG – Police say a nine-month-old boy found in critical condition in a Winnipeg home last month ingested a powerful drug called carfentanil that has recently turned up in the city.

Powder found at the scene was believed to be fentanyl, but tests show it was the much more powerful drug — a synthetic opioid that can be fatal in very small doses.

The infant’s condition has improved.

Const. Jason Michalyshen says it’s not clear how the child ingested the drug.

But he adds kids are curious and there are a number of ways in which a small amount can get into a child’s system.

The boy’s parents have been charged with failure to provide the necessities of life, criminal negligence causing bodily harm and possession for the purpose of trafficking.

“An incredibly scary circumstance for everyone involved, and we’re so thankful that this nine-month -old has improved and is now safe,” Michalyshen said Thursday.

He said the case is a wake-up call for the city.

Carfentanil was first discovered in Winnipeg in September. Police found 1,477 doses in a hotel room and arrested a 37-year-old man.

The bust followed larger seizures in British Columbia and Alberta, including a package discovered by border agents in August that contained one kilogram of carfentanil — enough for 50 million doses.

News from © The Canadian Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Canadian Press

The Canadian Press is Canada's trusted news source and leader in providing real-time, bilingual multimedia stories across print, broadcast and digital platforms.