Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Select Region
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
NORFOLK, Va. – The Port of Virginia says the Trump Administration’s proposed tariff on Chinese-made gantry cranes could hamper a major expansion project.
Port CEO John Reinhart said in a statement Friday that a 10 to 25 per cent tariff could increase costs for expanding one of its terminals.
The port approved spending $40 million last year for four massive gantry cranes that will help load and unload shipping containers. They’re supposed to be delivered from China next year.
A 25 per cent tariff could mean a $10 million cost increase. That kind of budget overrun could delay the project’s completion.
Reinhart shared the information Friday with the Office of the United States Trade Representative. The office is in the midst of holding public hearings for proposed tariffs on about $200 billion worth of Chinese products.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.