Germany: suspect in cinema incident dead, no others injured

BERLIN – Police say a man has been shot dead after entering a movie theatre in southwestern Germany, apparently with a weapon. They say they believe that no one else was injured in the incident.

Police spokesman Bernd Hochstaedter said authorities were told early Thursday afternoon that an armed man had entered the Kinopolis movie theatre in the town of Viernheim and that shots apparently had been fired.

Hesse’s interior minister, Peter Beuth, said it wasn’t clear whether the weapon was real.

Hochstaedter said that the police deployment lasted around three hours.

He said: “We believe that there were no injured people, and that the people who were in the cinema with the perpetrator could be freed uninjured.”

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.