Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

Mall of America stabbing suspect has mental illness history

MINNEAPOLIS – A man charged with stabbing two shoppers at the Mall of America has a history of mental illness.

Prosecutors charged 20-year-old Mahad Abdiraham with two counts of assault causing great bodily harm.

The complaint says Abdiraham began slashing a 19-year-old man as the victim was coming out of a dressing room Sunday at Macy’s. The man was cut in the face, head and arms and had to undergo a blood transfusion.

The complaint says the victim’s 25-year-old brother tried to help and was cut in the hands and back, requiring 42 stiches.

Abdiraham’s initial court appearance is Wednesday. It’s unclear if he has an attorney.

Abdiraham was charged with stabbing two staff members with a pen last year at an in-patient psychiatric unit. Court records show he was acquitted due to mental illness.

News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?