Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
HARTFORD, Conn. – The president of a private Connecticut college says several incoming students have withdrawn and about $200,000 in donations has been lost over a black professor’s social media posts about white supremacy.
Trinity College president Joanne Berger-Sweeney said Monday that 16 incoming students and some past donors cited the scandal involving sociology professor Johnny Williams as the reason behind their decisions.
Threats related to posts by Williams led the college to close its campus in Hartford for a day in June.
Berger-Sweeney has said Williams shared a piece that concluded with a call to show indifference to the lives of bigots. Williams says his posts were twisted to sound as though they referred to June’s congressional shooting in Virginia.
Berger-Sweeney said last month Williams didn’t violate any policies.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.