Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

About 2,500 people evacuated in Dominican Republic flooding

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic – About 2,500 people have been evacuated in the Dominican Republic because of flooding caused by heavy rains over the previous 12 days, relief agencies said Sunday.

Juan Manuel Mendez, director of the Caribbean nation’s Center of Emergency Operations, urged people to keep alert as there is a possibility of more flooding and mudslides from further rains forecast for the coming days.

“The population should not be complacent,” he said at a news conference.

Mendez said 10 homes had been destroyed by high waters and nearly 500 more had been flooded. Five bridges have been damaged, cutting off access to 31 rural communities, he said.

The evacuees were moved to homes of relatives in areas less vulnerable to flooding.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.