Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

James Taylor to give Alberta concert proceeds to Fort McMurray community

HAMILTON – James Taylor is leaning on his music to help Fort McMurray wildfire evacuees.

The "Carolina in My Mind" singer has made two Alberta concerts next month into benefits that will raise money for the wildfire rescue efforts.

He says proceeds from tickets to his shows in Calgary on June 7 and Edmonton on June 8 will be donated to the Canadian Red Cross.

"To turn those couple of shows into benefits is just too good an opportunity to pass up," Taylor said in a phone interview from his tour bus.

"It's a major national catastrophe and it's just impossible to ignore it."

Taylor says the idea came from conversations with his Canadian manager Sam Feldman on Friday, as he rolled into Ottawa for the first of a 15-concert tour of Canadian cities over the next month.

"You just don't want to think of profiting at a time like this," Taylor says.

"It's a time when something better can be done with the money."

More than 80-thousand residents of Fort McMurray have been displaced by the fires which began last week.

Forest fire officials say it could be months before they've fully extinguished the massive blaze, which has already spread across two-thousand square kilometres of northern Alberta.

Taylor has frequently participated in fundraising events for social and political causes.

"It's a feeling … of community hat happens at a concert that is so compelling," he says.

"It's kind of a spiritual thing. It's the closest I get to church."

Follow @dfriend on Twitter.

News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

Howard Alexander

Assistant Editor Howard Alexander comes to iNFOnews.ca from the broadcasting side of the media business.

Howard has been a reporter, news anchor, talk show host and news director, first in Saskatchewan and then the Okanagan.

He moved his family to Vernon in the 90s and is proud to call the Okanagan home.

If you have an event to share contact Howard at 250-309-5343or email halexander@infonews.ca.