3 arrested in deadly shooting at Seattle homeless encampment

SEATTLE – Police say three teenagers have been arrested in connection with the shooting at a Seattle homeless encampment last week that left 2 people dead and three others wounded.

Seattle police say the suspects, ages 13, 16 and 17, were arrested Monday afternoon in Seattle. No further information about the arrests was immediately available.

Shooting erupted on the evening of Jan. 26 at a homeless encampment known as ‘The Jungle.’ Police have said they believe the fatal shooting stemmed from a drug-dealing dispute.

The two people killed in the incident have been identified as 45-year-old Jeannine L. Zapata and 33-year-old James Q. Tran.

Harborview Medical Center spokeswoman Susan Gregg said Monday those wounded remain at the hospital with a man and woman in satisfactory condition.

She said the other woman wants to keep her condition private.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.