Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Six stories in the news today, March 29, from The Canadian Press:
———
MARCO MUZZO EXPECTED TO BE SENTENCED TODAY
A drunk driver who killed three children and their grandfather in a horrific crash north of Toronto is set to be sentenced today. Marco Muzzo, 29, pleaded guilty last month to four counts of impaired driving causing death and two of impaired driving causing bodily harm.
———
GORDON STUCKLESS SENTENCING HEARING TODAY
A sentencing hearing is to begin today for the man at the heart of the Maple Leaf Gardens sex abuse scandal. Gordon Stuckless pleaded guilty in 2014 to 100 charges related to the sexual abuse of 18 boys decades ago. Stuckless was later found guilty of two additional charges of gross indecency linked to two of the 18 victims.
———
TRUDEAU TO TALK ABOUT EMPLOYMENT INSURANCE
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is scheduled to visit Calgary today, to participate in a roundtable on employment insurance and visit the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology. Trudeau may face questions on his government’s decision to boost employment insurance benefits for parts of the country while leaving some hard-hit areas of the oilpatch out of the budget plan.
———
UNION HEADS PEN NOTE IN SUPPORT OF MULCAIR
Five union leaders are expressing support for Tom Mulcair ahead of next month’s NDP convention in Edmonton, where party members will decide if he should remain at the helm of the party. The leaders say in a statement that Mulcair has proven his ability to provide a “true progressive” alternative to the Liberal government.
———
ACTIVISTS WANT CANADA TO PUSH FOR NO NUKES
Anti-nuclear campaigners who want Canada to push for a global ban on nuclear weapons are concerned that Foreign Affairs Minister Stephane Dion is showing a definite lack of enthusiasm towards that goal. Dion said earlier this month that the current global security environment is simply not conducive to a ban on nuclear weapons because some states won’t relinquish them.
———
RCMP HAS ‘MOVED BEYOND’ HARASSMENT
Canada’s top Mountie told the federal government last spring the RCMP had “moved beyond” internal issues of harassment and bullying through “concrete actions,” newly disclosed records show. RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson advised Steven Blaney, the public safety minister at the time, that the problems had taken up a great deal of time and energy since he took the helm of the national police force three-and-a-half years earlier.
———
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.