Protester in Trump rally scuffle denies being Clinton plant

A protester involved in a scuffle at a Donald Trump rally in Reno, Nevada is denying accusations that he is an operative for Democrats.

Austyn Crites said Sunday he went to the rally with a “Republicans Against Trump” sign of his own volition.

The 33-year-old registered Republican says he has donated money to Hillary Clinton’s campaign and canvassed for her last week.

But he says he has never met with Clinton or her campaign.

Trump campaign manager Kellyanne Conway told CNN the protester was “a Democratic plant or operative” but offered no proof.

Crites says people were kicking and choking him Saturday when someone yelled something about a gun.

Secret Service agents quickly hustled Trump away. The agency said no gun was found.

Crites says the Secret Service released him after more than an hour.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.