Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
BEIRUT – Lebanon’s outgoing energy minister says the first phase of oil and gas exploration off the coast has begun.
Cesar Abi Khalil told reporters Tuesday that he has approved an exploration plan submitted by three international companies who will search in two of the country’s 10 offshore blocks.
Abi Khalil said Lebanon’s first well will be drilled next year.
Lebanon last year approved the licenses for an international consortium led by France’s Total, Italy’s ENI and Russia’s Novatek to move forward with offshore oil and gas development for two of 10 blocks in the Mediterranean Sea, including one that is disputed in part with Israel.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.