Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
LAHORE, Pakistan – A defence lawyer says a court has acquitted all 155 of his clients who were accused of torching homes in a Christian neighbourhood.
Ghulam Murtaza said Sunday that anti-terrorism court judge Chaudhry Azam acquitted his clients due to a lack of eyewitness testimony against them.
An enraged mob torched dozens of houses in the Joseph Colony neighbourhood in Lahore in March 2013. Prosecutor Waqar Bhatti said the government will appeal the verdict.
The mob torched the houses following allegations of blasphemy against a Christian man who was accused of insulting Islam’s prophet at a barber shop.
No one was hurt in the attack as Christian residents had already left their homes in fear. The government quickly rebuilt the homes and compensated the residents.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.