Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

Man charged in theft of artifacts from Michigan museum

MUSKEGON, Mich. – A 61-year-old man has been charged in the theft of artifacts from a western Michigan museum that’s housed on a World War II-era warship.

Muskegon County Prosecutor D.J. Hilson says John Anthony Zaputil is named in a warrant this week charging him with larceny. Hilson said Zaputil is from Iowa, but had been staying at a Muskegon-area hotel in recent months.

Zaputil declined to comment, citing the advice of an attorney. The Muskegon Chronicle reports Zaputil is a licensed osteopathic physician in Michigan.

Police have said about a dozen items were taken Aug. 3 from the USS LST 393 Veterans Museum in Muskegon, including medals, a shoulder patch and lapel pins. Hilson says they weren’t immediately recovered. WOOD-TV reports a surveillance photo helped lead investigators to Zaputil.

News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?