Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

FBI says arrest made in fire set intentionally at the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO – The FBI says it has made an arrest in a fire set intentionally at the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco.

FBI spokesman Peter Lee said Monday that one suspect had been taken into custody.

Lee did not provide further details, saying FBI Special Agent in Charge David Johnson would have more information at a news conference.

No one was hurt in the New Year’s Day blaze that charred a doorway and damaged the lobby of the building.

Federal officials said shortly after the fire that it was not being investigated as an act of terrorism.

Consulate workers say surveillance cameras showed a person exiting a van with two buckets of gasoline, pouring it on the building before igniting the blaze.

The FBI said earlier that no bomb-making materials were found.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.