Industry Minister James Moore to announce new Canadian space policy framework Feb. 7

MONTREAL – Federal Industry Minister James Moore will announce Canada’s new space policy framework next week.

The Canadian Press has learned from two sources that the long-awaited policy will be made public in Ottawa on Feb. 7 at 10 a.m.

An invitation to the event was sent to industry leaders under the name of Canadian Space Agency president Walt Natynczyk.

The industry minister told an aerospace forum in Montreal in early December the Harper government’s space policy had been completed.

Moore, whose responsibilities include the space agency, said at the time the framework will provide the foundation for the next phase of the government’s space program.

He indicated it would be based on the principles of partnership with other countries and the private sector and that it would cater to Canada’s strengths and inspire Canadians.

A background paper said the framework will outline the government’s strategic goals for its space activities, which include jobs and growth, sovereignty, security and the advancement of knowledge.

Steve MacLean, who quit as CSA president in early 2013, brought forward a long-term space plan in 2009 but the government never acted on it.

News from © The Canadian Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Canadian Press

The Canadian Press is Canada's trusted news source and leader in providing real-time, bilingual multimedia stories across print, broadcast and digital platforms.