Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

LONDON – A blind World War II veteran who participated in the invasion of Normandy has received a replacement set of medals after losing his own on a pilgrimage to the battlefields in France.
Alfred Barlow lost his four medals last month after visiting a rest stop in England and was “bitterly disappointed.”
Another blind British veteran who served in Germany and the Falkland Islands, Alan Walker, was so moved by the 96-year-old’s story that he sent him replacements purchased from a dealer.
Barlow said Wednesday in London: “It’s not quite the same, but nevertheless I have got some medals that I have earned.”
He said he is “so grateful” for the kindness he was shown.
The Crimestoppers group and actor Hugh Grant have pledged a total of 6,000 pounds ($7,750) for the return of Barlow’s original medals.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.