Hong Kong compromises with Philippines over apology for tourist deaths

HONG KONG – Hong Kong and the Philippines have reached a compromise over Hong Kong’s demand for an apology for the deaths of eight tourists in a bungled rescue attempt during a 2010 hostage-taking in Manila that soured relations.

In a statement Wednesday, Hong Kong authorities said that “the Philippine government expresses its most sorrowful regret and profound sympathy, and extends its most sincere condolences for the pain and suffering of the victims and their families.”

Missing was the word “apology,” which had been a longstanding demand of the families of the victims.

The Philippine government has previously said it would not apologize.

Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada arrived in Hong Kong on Tuesday to discuss the issue.

The tourists were taken hostage on a Manila tour bus by a disgruntled former police officer.

Three Hong Kong-Canadians _ Ken Leung, 58, and his daughters Jessie, 14, and Doris, 21, _ were among the dead.

– With files from The Canadian Press.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.