California man charged with killing 8 in salon shooting rampage is expected to plead guilty

SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man charged with killing his ex-wife and seven others in a shooting rampage at a hair salon is expected to appear in a Southern California courtroom to plead guilty.

Assistant public defender Scott Sanders says 44-year-old Scott Dekraai plans to enter guilty pleas Friday to eight counts of murder and one count of attempted murder with special circumstances and enhancements.

Sanders said earlier this week that Dekraai wanted to spare victims’ relatives a lengthy trial over his guilt while he continues to fight prosecutors’ efforts to have him sentenced to death.

Prosecutors say they are still seeking the death penalty for Dekraai.

Dekraai is charged with killing his hairstylist ex-wife and seven others at Salon Meritage in Seal Beach in 2011. Police arrested him minutes after the shootings.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.