Defence Secretary Hagel calls Boston bombings ‘cruel act of terror’

WASHINGTON – Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel is calling the Boston marathon bombing that killed three and wounded more than 140 people a “cruel act of terror.”

Hagel said Tuesday that any event with explosive devices is clearly an act of terror and promised that a thorough investigation will determine whether the perpetrators were foreign or domestic.

He said government officials still do not know who is responsible or why the historic race was targeted Monday.

The Pentagon chief vowed that those responsible will be brought to justice. He said the thoughts and prayers of those at the Pentagon are with the people of Boston.

Hagel made the comments Tuesday at the start of a previously scheduled congressional hearing on the defence budget.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press


The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.