Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
OTTAWA – The wife of an Ottawa man accused of terrorist ties says border agents have removed an electronic tracking bracelet from his ankle.
Sophie Harkat says the Canada Border Services Agency took the tracking device off late Wednesday as part of a court-ordered relaxation of Mohamed Harkat’s release conditions.
The Federal Court ruling, which follows a hearing last month, has not yet been publicly released.
But Sophie Harkat tells The Canadian Press that she and her husband arrived home Wednesday to a phone message telling them to come to a border services office to have the bracelet removed.
It has been more than a decade since Harkat, a refugee from Algeria, was arrested under a national security certificate on suspicion of being an al-Qaida sleeper agent — an accusation he denies.
He has essentially been living under house arrest with stringent conditions — including the tracking bracelet — for seven years.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.