Elton John recovering after appendicitis operation

LONDON – Elton John is recovering after an operation to remove his appendix.

The musician’s publicist says John had the surgery last week at Princess Grace Hospital in Monaco, near his home in the south of France.

Last month the musician cancelled a series of shows as he was treated for an inflamed appendix and surrounding abscess.

He said at the time that his infected appendix had been “a ticking time bomb.”

He was treated with antibiotics and his publicist said Monday the appendix has been removed.

In a statement on his official website last week, John said the many get-well cards and messages he’d received from fans “have touched me deeply.”

The 66-year-old musician is expected to perform in London Sept. 2, when he receives the Brits Icon Award.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.