Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
NYON, Switzerland – The coaches of some of Europe’s top clubs urged UEFA on Thursday to close the transfer window earlier, even though their owners prefer the existing September deadline.
Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas, speaking after a UEFA-hosted meeting of elite coaches, said they were “unhappy” and wanted more settled preparation for their teams each season.
“We have alerted UEFA that something has to be done,” Villas-Boas said after the two-day session attended by 16 coaches, including Carlo Ancelotti of Real Madrid.
Tottenham’s record 100 million euro ($132 million) sale of Gareth Bale to Madrid was among the big transfers sealed near Monday’s deadline.
Napoli coach Rafa Benitez said the “beginning of August” or Aug. 15 were suggested as better deadlines than this season’s Sept. 2 transfer window closure, which came after European leagues began.
The call follows UEFA President Michel Platini saying that “this window is too long and will have to shorten it.”
“We will ask FIFA to have a look into what we propose and for all European leagues to start at the same time,” Platini said after last week’s Champions League draw.
Securing a place in that lucrative competition is seen as a key factor for clubs wanting to prolong their trading options.
Villas-Boas identified that “the problem is the discrepancy” between coaches seeking stability and some clubs who seek to ensure Champions League qualification.
A place in the 32-team group stage is typically worth at least 15 million euros ($19.7 million) in prize money from UEFA.
Villas-Boas said Schalke coach Jens Keller pointed out that the German club could buy midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng from AC Milan only after winning its Champions League playoff last week.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.